The Commission performs mainly the following functions:
- Examine the working of the various safeguards provided in the constitution of India or laws enacted by Parliament and the laws passed by the Legislative Assembly of Delhi for the protection of the Minority Communities, and to make recommendations to ensure their effective implementation.
- Monitor the implementation of the policies and schemes of the Government for the welfare of Minority Communities.
- Assess the representation of Minority Communities in the services of the Government, Semi-Government Bodies and Govt. Undertakings, Municipal Corporations of Delhi, Delhi Development Authority, New Delhi Municipal Council, other local authorities, and in case of inadequate representation, to recommend remedial measures.
- Look into specific complaints regarding the deprivation of the rights and safeguards of the Minority Communities and to take up such matters with the appropriate authorities for necessary action.
- Conduct studies, research, analysis in order to make recommendations to promote socio-economic upliftment of Minority Communities and hold seminars, debates, discussions etc. on the problems affecting the Minority Communities in Delhi.